Let’s explore the power of consistency. Allow me to share a short story about a stonecutter’s focused consistency. First, here are four questions to set the tempo for fueling consistency. I heard it once said, “the mark of a champion is consistency.”
- Maybe you’re facing a challenging event or obstacle that is influencing your goal momentum?
- Possibly you’re taking action with your plan and not seeing tangible results from your effort?
- You may feel like you have taken two steps forward and three steps backwards?
- Do you feel like quitting on your goal?
- Does your goal seem too big?
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” ~ Winston Churchill
Consistency Will Shape Your Results
I am reminded of the power of consistency and focus of a stonecutter. The goal was to cut a large stone into two pieces. The tools that were available to split a large rock were only a hammer and some wedges. Maybe you feel like if you have better tools, different conditions, a website, technology and teaching then you will get started? Of course that’s all important but let’s explore the power of consistency with what you already have at this moment.
With rhythm and determination the sounds of the hammer hitting the steel wedges echoed in the valley, and the stonecutter’s focus with his hammer persistently hitting the steel wedges over and over as sweat poured down his face was intense. With the natural eye, nothing appears to be happening as the vibrations echo through his body. At first, it looked as if the rock appeared to be defeating the stonecutter’s consistency!
Because of his clear intentions behind the goal along with his relentless focus and consistency working with two main tools at hand, almost in a shocking moment of surprise, the sounds of the large stone started popping and split almost instantly in two! The stonecutter’s consistent determination, working with his hammer and chisel, accomplished his goal! Whether it’s five hundred, a thousand, or thousands of times, the stonecutter’s consistency and focus eventually wins over the large rock!
“Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of master.” ~ Nathaniel Emmons
- What if you only have a few more swings before your goal is complete?
- Who are you becoming with each swing of your hammer?
- How does your goal connect with your larger vision?
“Goals on the road to achievement cannot be achieved without discipline and consistency.” ~ Denzel Washington
When Intention is Clear
Have you ever waited to set a goal until every detail was in alignment? We may call that over thinking or paralysis of analysis. Think of going on a long trip… do we wait for every light to turn green before we start driving? Possibly, what is actually happening due to an attempt with a goal in the past, a belief may say, why set the goal or even start the goal because it has not been accomplished the past five times. With many goals, it may, at first, appear like there’s no movement, momentum or results. Like the stonecutter, when your intention is clear, results will begin to appear. What is your passion and your why behind your goal?
“As soon as you truly commit to making something happen, the ‘how’ will reveal itself.” ~ Anthony Robbins
6 Keys to Consistent Goal Action
Building upon the keys in part one and two of this goal completion series: To feed your goal completion momentum and consistency, here are five keys to metaphorically feed your goal garden.
“To change your LIFE you need to change your PRIORITIES.” ~ John C. Maxwell
- Accountability: Give an account daily on your goal journey to one to three highly trusted people. Send a short text with three simple parts.
- My win today:
- My discovery today:
- My action step today:
- Reinforcement: What works is when your accountability person or persons respond back with a simple reinforcement of encouragement, cheerleading or celebration! Remember to Read, Write, Speak and Visualize daily.
- Keep it positive
- Keep it fun
- Keep it simple
- Trailblazers: Ask powerful questions when you get around other leaders. Listen to other overcoming stories from pacesetters.
- Listen to understand
- Hunger-filled curiosity
- Initiate to appreciate
- Preparation: Advance set up for the next day. Planning in advance empowers excellence. Order leads to increase.
- Preparation feeds confidence
- Preparation sharpens focus
- Preparation fuels acceleration
- Prioritize: What’s important now? Knowing the power of ‘No.” Be productive or just busy. Healthy boundaries fuels transformation.
- Know your No
- Know your goals
- Know your why
- Growth: See your situations as stepping stones to build character. Resistance during exercise produces strength.
- Your growth influences
- Your hunger is contagious
- Your curiosity unlocks treasures
I want to encourage you, no matter what you’re facing in this season, there is always a solution. You have the tools, talents and gifts like the stonecutter. You were born for such a time as this!
“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed no hope at all.” ~ Dale Carnegie“Create your way to a better day, you got what it takes!”